Tuesday, March 17, 2015

An Opportunity to Care in the DR


I have been given an opportunity to go, encourage, and build up some single female missionaries with TeachBeyond. During the last two weeks of May, I plan to head to San Francisco de Macoris, Dominican Republic to work alongside Ellen and Jessica at San Francisco Christian School ( http://www.sfcsdr.com/about/ ).

This new school is the only school in that city that provides an English primary education founded in Christian beliefs and values. Ellen and Jessica are the only two teachers at the school. They are acting as director, principal, curriculum support, and counselor along with their teaching duties. Recent events have caused turmoil and magnified their lack of resources causing overwhelming stress. The pastor of the affiliated church and one of the visionaries for the school has gone on leave, and has left these two girls to fend for themselves. Parents are expecting them to carry on and keep the school going.  Thankfully, TeachBeyond is working to connect these ladies with other Christian schools within the DR to gain support in curriculum and structure.

In May, I will spend 2 weeks lending a much needed hand in the classroom as well as lending an ear to two overwhelmed and stressed out young ladies. At this time, I am trying to raise $1200 to pay for airfare, my expenses while I am there, and supplies/gifts for the teachers. Please be in prayer for Ellen and Jessica as well as this opportunity I have to walk with them through this tough time. Pray for wisdom, open doors, guidance, healing, and peace for the school and community. They are also in need of three new teachers (Pre-K, 1st Grade, and PE/Fine Arts). Please praise the Lord with me for the provision He will give in all these situations!

If you would like to donate to my trip as I get to encourage and build up these young ladies, you can go to https://give.teachbeyond.org/support/katies-ministry/.





No comments:

Post a Comment