Monday, October 12, 2015

California- July 3-18

In the summer of 2014, I returned home from Bolivia with a heavy heart.  I had just said goodbye to some of my dearest friends.  It is amazing how missionary life brings you so close so fast.  These friends went through ups and downs with me.  They knew how it felt to be away from home when family members were sick or dying, when friends got married without you there, when babies are born and you can't hold them. Living life so closely was what made my experience in Bolivia so good!  They became my family and will always have a place in my heart.

Jessica Carlson is one of those people. She was part of my family my last year in Bolivia, and was an answer to prayer after my neighbor, Kaitlyn left.  I needed someone that I could speak freely with and lived pretty close.  She was one of those people (of course there were others). She was one of the best people I could have as a friend, sister, and at some points mom walking life with me in Bolivia.

When I knew Jessica would be home this past summer, I started making plans to visit her and see her home state of California!  I saved my airline miles gained from my back and forth to Bolivia.  I set aside my monetary gifts I received throughout the year, and I was ready for my world wind tour of California RV style.

My trip included:

My first In-N-Out burger...I ate 4 total throughout the trip.

Had my nails done by Mama Carlson

Cheered on the Fresno Grizzlies on the 4th of July


Spent a day in Sequoia National Park


Spent the night with strangers...lovely Christian people!

Took in the breath-taking views in Yosemite!

Put my feet in really cold water on the valley floor, Yosemite!

Toured the Jelly Belly Factory

Rode and lived in this RV, our chariot, for a little over a week.


Saw a castle in Napa Valley

Rode across the Golden Gate Bridge


Enjoyed the view on a clear day

Watched the Giants beat the Phillies 15-2

Met the Painted Ladies

Rode down Lombard St.

Took a ride on a cable car

Wandered through Chinatown

Ate good chocolate

Walked the boardwalk in Santa Cruz

Kayaked the Elkhorn Slough out of Monterey Bay

Saw a waterfall falling into the ocean

Hugged a Redwood

Drove the Pacific Coast Highway

Put my feet in the Pacific Ocean for the 1st time

Met up with Annie, a TeachBeyonder in the Czech Republic

Ate ice cream in Santa Barbara

Camped on the coasted near Ventura

Conference called Hana Kamiya with coffee served by Papa Carlson
Drove around Pepperdine and Malibu

Saw lots of people...hyperventilated...too many people for me!

Walked down Santa Monica Pier

Saw the sunset at Venice Beach

Took a gandered at the Chinese Theater

Became friends with Sandra Bullock

Saw lots of stars

Toured MGM

Got sorted

Had coffee at Central Perk

Became a Hobbit

Rode a broomstick

Slept many nights in a box

Enjoyed a little bit of Bolivia for breakfast...cuñapés y café 


Suffered through the Red Sox getting beat by the Angels
with a Mike Trout walk-off HR :(
My time in California was a blessing!  It was refreshing and enjoyable to see a part of the US that I had never seen before, but the best part was taking the trip with Jessica and her family!  The conversations had, meals shared, and laughs laughed were by far some of my favorite parts.  I loved every minute and will remember it for years to come! Thank you Carlsons for the adventure and fun! Thank you Jessica for the eternal friendship and for dealing with my love for cheesy Christmas movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment