Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Uncomfortable= Surrendering ALL to Him


 A week ago, I returned from a week of being immersed in the ins and outs of TeachBeyond.  We woke early for breakfast at 7:30am and ended our day with personal testimonies till 9pm and beyond.  The guts of each day were spent learning about necessary things like fundraising, finances, insurance, policies and guidelines, and the interesting and educational aspects of this journey like reflecting on our calling, learning about a TCK (Third culture kid), the inner workings of our personalities, acculturation, transitioning, being a woman in the mission field, teaching a multicultural classroom, and so much more!  When I returned home, my brain was on overload, yet I was renewed in my spirit knowing that this is where God has placed me for such a time as this!

Some of you may not know that I actually started out thinking I was going to Germany.  I couldn’t wait to head to a land that I knew something about.  I knew bits of the culture and the language and was ready to serve the students there in whatever capacity He wanted me in.  God had other plans!  It wasn’t until the plane ride home from training that I realized why I wasn’t going to Germany.  Most of the candidates at training were going to work in Germany, so a lot of the speakers referenced Germany, Germans, German culture, and the German language a lot.  I would get so frustrated and at some points was bitter toward the fact that I was not going to Germany…I even meshed well with the RAs and teachers going there (I love you all!)!  There were even two moments where the TeachBeyond staff mistakenly put me in the group going to Germany (It was moments like these where I believe our God has humor)!  Through this frustration and bitterness God was taking me to a place that I needed to go…TOTAL surrender.  I had to realize that even though I think I know what I need, I am not the one in control.  The sooner I learned that the better! 
 
The Lord knew what He was doing when I had the same flight home as some of my new spiritual mentors from the week.  Christie and Rick got to the airport early and got the attendant to change our sits to be next to each other.  I was so thankful for their presence and conversation on the plane.  It was during that time I realized in my prayer and fasting that pointed me in the direction of TeachBeyond,  I asked Him to take away the fear of being uncomfortable.  Bolivia is an answer to that prayer!  I know very little about Bolivia.  I don’t know the culture of Bolivia or the school I will be teaching in.  All I know is that is where He wants me.  I asked Him this, and He is answering loud and clear for me to Trust, Abide, and Surrender in His understanding and ways!  So I take this time to surrender to Him the expectations I have about Bolivia, transition, my remaining time with family and friends, my classroom, fundraising, the health of my family, and holidays without family.  He is in control "and we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28


"Sing a new song of praise to him; play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy. For the word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything he does.  He loves whatever is just and good; the unfailing love of the Lord fills the earth.”   
                               Psalm 33: 3-5


No comments:

Post a Comment