Thursday, September 6, 2012

It's SO different here...my first few days in Bolivia

I have been in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia for 5 days.  I never in my life would have thought this would be so difficult.  There has not been a day when I have not cried and longed for home.  I have been in a state of shock and awe, wondering what I have gotten myself into.  As I talk to those that have been here and those that are new along with me, I have found that this is what happens when you step foot into the windblown dust bowl that is Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  


It is not easy leaving my family and friends behind to move to a place that I did not know at all.  I can tell you that it is hard, but there is no way you could know until you see, hear, and experience here.  There are a few things that will take some time to get used to like not flushing my toilet paper.  It is really hard and a few times I have gone fishing for that paper (yeah I know that is so gross), but have learned to just let it go, the paper that is.  Living by myself, teaching elementary style 6th grade instead of middle :-/, dirty feet, having cows follow me to school, and the great number of dogs that live outside my gate are other things that are going to take some time to get used to. 

Here is what I have done since being in Bolivia...the high points anyway:

Sunday:
Saltena y aqua
When arriving in Santa Cruz we (me and Christine, another teacher) were met by Paul (the pres. of the board of director of SCCLC), David and Amy (live at the SAM base), and Rachel (a fellow TeachBeyonder...YAY!!).  They took us and our massive luggage to the SAM base where we met Julie and Keith (the high school principal) who provided a breakfast of saltenas (somewhat like a chicken potpie), our first Bolivian food.  After sharing a little about ourselves, we were given and room and a restroom to sleep and shower.  It was nice to finally get some sleep after hours of on and off sleep sitting up straight on a plane.  

The SAM base
When we awoke, David, Amy, their kids, and Rachel took us to the Cine Center where there was a food court...somewhat like America.  I ate nachos.  We then went back to the base, called home, and slept some more.  Afterward, Julie and Keith whisked us away to see the school where I saw my first wondering cow and horribly bumpy dirt roads.  Julie showed us around and then we proceeded to Beth and Alyssa's house where Christine will be living.  

We shared dinner with Beth and Alyssa, helped them hook up their internet, got to know one another, and slept.  It was somewhat difficult to go to sleep because of the new surroundings, the heat, the nervousness of a new school the next day, and a single mattress in an empty room.

Monday:
Beth and Alyssa's next door neighbor a teacher at the school took us to school the next day where we met up with Paul who took me to sign my lease and get the keys to my apartment.  Our Paul-narrated drive to the WGM base (they own the apartment I am in),  was confusing and overwhelming.  Santa Cruz is like nothing I have seen...not even Panama.  There are gates, tall walls with barbed wire on the top, locks, and guards everywhere.  Dust overtakes the air making it hard to breathe and need to sneeze at the same time.  The sun is intense.  Cows are eating trash.  Buses (micros) are packed full of people and traffic signals are not obeyed and driving is LOCO!!

Thankfully we survived! :)  I got my keys and Paul let me drop off my luggage at the apartment before heading back to school.  It is a great apartment...pictures to come when all of my bags are unpacked.  
Back at school, Julie shared some of the ins and outs of school with us.  We met other teachers, were treated to a great cafeteria lunch, and continued to be overloaded with information verbally and emotionally.  

After school, Rachel took us (Christine and I) on our first field trip to the Hipermaxi (the grocery store).  We ran to catch the micro and proceeded to stand the 15 to 20 minute ride.  It was not a bad micro first ride.  The Hipermaxi is a lot like Wal-Mart or any grocery store in the states.  We even saw products like Kraft Macaroni and cheese, Cheerios, and Fruit Loops.  Rachel was great at showing us what she gets and what we shouldn't get.  She makes experiences fun and enjoyable!!  Our ride back to school was definitely more interesting with grocery in tow, but we made it without falling flat our faces...more on that later.  Rachel walked me home and I met my neighbor, Katlyn, upon arrival.  

After Rachel left and I was all alone, I had my first break down.  The Lord knew what I needed and sent my sweet neighbor to invite me to share a meal with her.  She was a great calming and encouraging presence to have in that moment.  We shared about our stories, our reason for being in Santa Cruz, and those that we missed.  What a blessing to have a great neighbor!  The rest of the evening I sat and wondered where I should start cleaning or unpacking or organizing, so instead I connected to the internet put money on skype and called my mama and papa.  I am thankful for technology and for the ability to talk to my parents in a totally different continent through my computer.  

PRAYERS
I am leaving it there for now.  There is a lot to share, but please be praying for my time here, for my heart and mind to be in my ministry with my students and this school.  Tomorrow is my 2nd full day of teaching.  Please pray that I show them Jesus through my love, discipline, and sharing of the truth.  Please pray for the grief I am going through of loosing the familiar and the connection with my family that I had established in the month I was there.  My heart hurts for them and for my friends in Atlanta.  He is faithful to provide what I need, and He continues to show me His presence and strength in this place.  Satan knows my weaknesses in this place and every now and then succeeds in telling me the lie of there being no way out of this loneliness.  Jesus is the way out!! He is my strength, my rescue and my help!  Why should I be afraid?  Please, please take me, my journey, my weakness, and my purpose for being here to Him with me!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet Katie, where to begin... I read your words tonight and knew exactly how you felt! I've walked those first days in a new land and felt the isolation and foreignness of it all... but that will fade and when you're all done with your time there you'll miss Hipermaxi with their crazy check your bag at the door rule and "do you have 2 Bs. because I can't make change" ness :) It will grow on you I promise... do as much as you can in your community area and build contacts because that will encourage you tremendously! I had the same girls who were my check-out girls every time at Hipermaxi and they loved always visiting with the boys. Meet the corner store owners and don't be afraid to make language mistakes, Bolivians are VERY gracious people! Fill the silence with praise and keep a list or journal of thankfulness if you get overwhelmed with the frustrations of living in a third world country... ok, now I just sound like my mom trying to fix everything for you :( sorry, but know, trust, and remind yourself daily that this time in Santa Cruz was God orchestrated and that He would NEVER send you there to spend your days alone... God bless you sweet friend and know that we're praying for you! I'm so sorry I can't be more help... if you were in Cbba I would know exactly where to send you for good movies, pizza and groceries :) Embrace the adventure Katie J.! Your God has got this! - Laura Bull

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! It is so nice to know that there is someone who knows what I am going through. It is good to be reminded of the thankfulness I need to have in these times. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. LOVEBUG!! You are covered in prayer and support right now. You are not alone! Once you get over the shock of it all that is when the fun happens. The relationships you are going to make will make it all worth it. God brought you there and He is not going to leave you flying solo. I CANNOT wait to hear about your students, new friends, mentors, and CRAZY God stories. You are blessing me by seeing your walk out in faith and courage. And remember...I am just a skype away. My headset is SO ready to be used :) I love you sweet friend!! -Ames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend! I love you and my skype is always on at night...what is your skype name? I am katie.johnston19

      Delete
  3. Heavenly Father, I pray an overwhelming sense of peace and strength over my friend Katie right now. Fill her up with Your Spirit, in a way that only You have the power to do. I can't thank you enough for getting her to Santa Cruz safely. I have no doubt that you are standing by her side, holding her hand tightly with every step. Make sure she feels Your presence with every passing minute, Lord. Please protect her heart and mind from Satan's lies. Shine through her in mighty ways! In Your Son's Precious Name I pray, Amen.

    one of my favorite promises of God:
    1 Peter 5:10-11 (HCSB)
    Now the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will personally restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little. The dominion belongs to Him forever. Amen.

    LOVE YOU KATIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed that verse today! I will be writing that out and putting on my desk at school and in different places in my house. I love you and am thankful for your encouragement and friendship!

      Delete