Monday, August 6, 2012

The Valley of Transition



 This morning I woke up to news that a precious woman who holds a special place in my heart and one of my mom’s good friends, Kathy, had had a heart attack and gone through triple bypass surgery in the wee hours of the morning.  I took a shower, and my mom and I were headed out on an hour drive to Conway, AR.  When we arrived Kathy’s daughter filled us in on what happened.  Throughout her telling of the story she shared how she already knew that God was in it.  He brought her to Conway, to a hospital where there was a surgeon who did this type of surgery.  He provided a neighbor that helped in calling 911 and sat with her until friends arrived, and throughout the day He continued to bring people, phone calls, emails, and Facebook messages of those praying for her.  Tonight on my way home as I thought and prayed about Kathy, her daughter Emily Ann, and her sister Becky, who is going to be with her through recovery, I was reminded of a lesson on transition by Howard Dueck at my TeachBeyond training and how it applied to both me and Kathy.

He used Psalm 23 to describe what our transition would be like.  Here it is to refresh your memory…

"The Lord is my shepherd,(A) I lack nothing.(B)
    He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,(C)
    he refreshes my soul.(D)
He guides me(E) along the right paths(F) for his name’s sake.(G)
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[a](H)
I will fear no evil,(I) for you are with me;(J) your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table(K) before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;(L) my cup(M) overflows.
Surely your goodness and love(N) will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Here is what I remember Mr. Dueck sharing (with the help of my notes): 
The Lord has given us moments of refreshment, providing for us every step of the way all the while preparing us and leading us to the dark valleys (vs.1-3).  He has brought us to that hard, dark place to allow us to see that there is something so much better than what He has already given us, and in that dark place, when we truly lean on Him, we get to know Him even better while getting to know ourselves (vs 4-5). When He has brought us through that dark valley, we will feast with Him.  In His unfailing love we find our dwelling place, the place where we all (even if we do not admit it) long to truly be (vs. 6).

Although Kathy and I are going through two totally different types of transitions, we are both in the beginning steps through our valley; a valley of uncertainty, of knowing something tough is coming but not really knowing how it will turn out, and even a valley of loss.  I know we will both go through strong emotions of frustration, anger, fear, guilt, and anxiety as we travel through this valley, and I pray that in every emotion we experience that our God reveals himself to us in ways we would never imagine.  I pray that His presence is seen and felt in those places.  I pray that His promise of a feast in His presence is mine and Kathy’s hope.  We are both peering down this long, dark intimidating road, but I believe that we are both on these roads to glorify and to be touched by our Jehovah-Rophe (The Lord our healer) and sing only His praises!

What an amazing God we serve that He not only walks with us through the valley but leads us to it so that He can be glorified by the changing and molding of our lives in that valley!!!  How precious is the life you have given us!  Jehovah- Shammah (The Lord is there)!

I love you Kathy, Emily Ann, and Becky, and I pray for our Jehovah-Jireh (The Lord our provider) to provide all you need through this transition!  

Please pray for this family and their transition as you pray for me in mine.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for your friends. Thank you for this post. It is an encouragement to me as Daron and I face uncertainty and transition. Love you!

    ReplyDelete